Friday, August 11, 2006

Huh? What was that you said?


I knew it would happen one day, I just didn't expect it would happen at 5 years, 4 months, and 8 days.

BabyGirl woke up early in a pissy, hungry mood because she hadn't bothered to eat lunch or dinner yesterday. For whatever reason, there's not much else that gets me so pissy as a kid who doesn't eat then complains of hunger. Anyway, as I was saying, "put more eggs on your fork and eat them" for the millionth time, she hit me with it.

"I wish Firstmom and Firstdad were my parents."

Now, we have a very open adoption, we see them as frequently as we can, and they are very much in our lives even though we don't see them all the time. Before our daughter became our daughter, the agency had us talk about our fears about parenting by adoption. Hearing my teenager spit out those very words was the second thing on my list (right after a birthparent reclaiming their/our child before the consent hearing--something that happened 3 times).

I must say I responded well. I didn't get upset, I didn't hyperventilate, all I said was, "I'm sure they seem like much more fun right now, don't they?" and kept on reading my NYTimes. Most remarkably, it didn't even phase me! What do I think this means for me? I must be really confident that I'm her mommy, Mr. Handsome is her daddy, and that we're a family.

Aside from the crappy, pissy way the day started, it was a pretty nice way to start out her last day of daycamp.

No comments: